Hand-in-hand with the final Harry Potter film came a unique sense of jubilation and sorrow for every fan. It was finally here, but at the same time, it was all over. Never again would we have the feverish excitement of not being able to sleep the night before the new J.K. Rowling offering was released, not to mention the unique experience of queueing at midnight in a bid to get our hands on tickets.
We couldn’t have been more wrong. Six years after the last Potter movie and we’re still experiencing that familiar delirious feeling, but this time for Rowling’s other magical baby, Fantastic Beasts And Where To Find Them.
With filming beginning in London this week for the sequel, Potter fever is sweeping the world once again. But where on earth are the details on the brand new film? Well, they finally emerged this week as Warner Bros unveiled their vision for the follow-up to the first installment, which enchanted fans, grossing $814 million worldwide and winning the wizarding world’s first Academy Award. So without further ado, here are all the juicy details fans out there need to know.
1. The movies’ timeline began in 1926 and will end in 1945
2. Jude Law will play a youthful Dumbledore
3. The new film sees Dumbledore teaming up with Newt Scamander to take on Grindelwald, who has made a “dramatic escape” from the American wizarding authorities
4. All the characters you loved from the first film will be back – even Jacob, whose memory was wiped
5. Ezra Miller’s Credence will be back in a “mysterious way”, according to Pottermore
6. A host of new characters are coming your way, including a bounty hunter called Grimmson and a wizard called Yusuf Kama. Plus Zoe Kravitz – who made a blink-and-you’ll-miss-it appearance in number one, will be back in a more prominent role as Leta Lestrange
7. There’s a wizarding circus on the horizon; Ólafur Darri Ólafsson as the circus’s owner, Skender and The Avengers‘ Claudia Kim as one of the circus’s “featured attractions”
8. The second film will take us to wizarding worlds we’ve never encountered before; it’s set in New York, London and Paris
9. It contains some “surprising nods” to the Harry Potter series
Is anyone else unbelievably excited? The next installment of Fantastic Beasts And Where To Find Them doesn’t hit theatres until November 16, 2018, so we’ve got a long wait yet. It’s a shame Time-Turners can’t take us into the future.